- Kerno Legal Services, Reykjavik, spring 2016. Partner and founder with Árni Freyr Árnason, district court attorney.
- Reykjavik University, Reykjavik, Iceland,2012-2015. Adjunct professor in tax return and international tax law.
- Ministry of Finance, Reykjavik, Iceland, 2012-2015. Special adviser in tax affairs. Chair of a committee concerning transfer pricing.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers hf., Reykjavik, Iceland, 1999-2012. International partner, tax and legal leader. Founded PwC Legal in Iceland. Provided various tax advice both regarding direct and indirect taxes, establishment of companies, mergers, acquisitions and related areas.
- Law Office, Reykjavik, Iceland, 1996-1999. Operated a law firm in Reykjavik providing general legal advice.
- Tax Administrator, Ísafjörður, 1993-1996. Appointed tax administrator for the Westfjords. As Tax administrator Elin operated the governmental office in Ísafjörður and oversaw all the functions of the administrative body.
- Internal Revenue Office of Iceland, Reykjavik, 1989-1993. Lawyer in the field of VAT and income tax.
- Icelandic Travel School, Guide, spring 2016.
- Reykjavik University, Reykjavik, Iceland. MBA, June 2002.
- University of Iceland, Operation and business diploma, 1992.
- District Court Attorney, Bar exam, 1995.
- University of Iceland, Cand. Jur. 1989.
- Stuttgarter Universität, Psychology.1983.
- Icelandic, German, English, Danish (Scandinavian languages).